What is important to me?
Education of all ages
- Upskilling our youth, particularly those who have gone through our education system with minimal qualifications
- Upskilling parents, who now have time to re-educate themselves
- Training our people, giving them the opportunity and skills to enter (or re-enter) the workforce. There is ‘work experience’ available in the system, however this is unpaid work and it is difficult to raise a family, educate yourself and still pay the bills.
The well-being of our Kaumatua/Kuia
- Hold a hui and inform them what is available to them; benefits, services, medical etc as I know there are some too embarrassed to ask.
- Spend more time learning from them – they have so much to offer
My aspirations for Ngāpuhi is that we get back what belongs to us without fighting amongst ourselves, and be able to live off the whenua.